This week we're talking about Anahata Chakra or our Heart Chakra which is the seat of our love and emotions. Chakras are energy centres in the body and their flow of energy can influence us both on a physical and emotional level. If you've missed the previous few weeks you can read up on the Root Chakra, Sacral Chakra and Solar Plexus Chakra here.
There is also a chance to WIN a fabulous Chakra Yoga Mat by Yoga Bliss Shop so make sure to read to the end!
The Heart Chakra
The Anahata Chakra is our energetic centre and is located along the spine around the heart area. When he energy is balanced we can express unselfish love, feel emotionally balanced and are considerate and compassionate towards others. It is also the chakra which connects the upper three chakras to the lower three chakras, transforming consciousness into matter.
When the heart chakra is balanced you rarely feel lonely. You have the ability to forgive (not forget), are compassionate and take care of others as well as yourself. Imbalances can occur for example when a loved one dies and you are unable to grieve sufficiently. You may still be sending energy out but there is nobody to receive it so the chakra goes out of balance. Holding on to grudges and lack of sympathy for others are other signs that it is time to work on balancing this chakra!
Signs for Anahata imbalance:
- You are overly judgmental towards yourself
- You find it difficult to accept compliments
- You feel an imbalance and are always the once giving and serving others
- You find it difficult to express your feelings
- you would like to develop more compassion
- problems with respiratory system
- problems with circulation
- pain in ribs, upper back, shoulders and chest
- women: problems related to the health of the breasts
How to work with the Anahata Chakra
To practice Namaskar bring your hands together at the centre of the chest. This is a classic position for prayer and helps to centre the body and the mind. In your meditation use the mantra "may I be happy, may I be healthy" which you can also extend to include others i.e. may (name) be happy, may (name) be healthy. Any yoga poses that encourages to open the chest and heart (backbends) will help to balance anahata energy.
- Colour: Green
- Sound: YAM
- Element: Air
- Yoga Poses: camel pose, cow-faced pose, cobra / upward dog
- Mudra: chin mudra, thumb and first finger together
- Yantra: twelve Petal Lotus, star mandala
- Animal: antelope or gazelle
Source: The Essential Guide to Chakras, Swami Saradananda
If you're loving the chakra series so far you will love this fabulous yoga mat! I love the pretty design with the different chakra yantras and great to use in your meditation practice, use them for better alignment or just enjoy looking at them!
The mat is really easy to clean (just wash down with soapy water) and has got great grip. Definitely one of my new favourites!
For your chance to win one of the fabulous chakra yoga mats by Yoga Bliss Shop complete the Rafflecopter below (UK Residents only). The winner will be notified by email and will be able to choose from two colours (purple and blue).
Terms & Conditions
1) Open to UK residents
2) Entries will be checked and invalid entries will be removed
3) One winner will be chosen using Rafflecopter
4) The winner will be notified by email within a week after the end of the competition
5) If the winner does not reply within two weeks another winner will be chosen
Disclaimer: I have been given this yoga mat free of charge in return for my honest feedback. I only include products that I feel my readers will enjoy as much as I have.